greyblazeragainblogging

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Eoin Morgan?


Since he made his debut for England, Morgan has been a revelation in both the onedayers and the T/20 format. It was Morgan's enterprising batting that took England to the champions trophy semifinal and he again came good in South Africa. It has been like a breath of fresh air to watch Morgan bat in the shorter formats of the game as in recent times players like Hussain, Vaughan and Bell have played for England. To be frank, none of them are suited to one-day cricket but with Morgan batting at number 5, the team looks a lot better.

Actually, I'm not just thinking of Morgan playing for England in the shorter formats of the game, but I still believe that he can play test cricket in the future. I have been criticised in a cricket forum or two for suggesting his name as his FC record isn't great but I do think that he has the temperament to succeed at the test level as well.

He plays late and that helps him to handle the spinners well and of course just like the team's coach, Andy Flower he can play that innovative reverse sweep. He also has the ability to score at a good pace against the quicker bowlers. The only area he has to work on is, he tends to drive loosely just around the off stump and quicker bowlers would certainly look to tempt him to drive just wide of off stump otherwise, I don't see why shouldn't he succeed in the longer format of the game. I also believe that if he works on it, his FC record would get better.

I know that some may not agree with me but, I won't be surprised if I see Morgan playing for England in test cricket in the future. At present I would like him to be selected for the Lions team though it seems like the selectors are favouring Gale and from what I have seen of both Gale and Morgan, I would definitely say that Morgan has more potential.

4 comments:

Reverse Swing said...

Would love to see him in action against Pakistan tomorrow, that will be some contest :P

greyblazer said...

Yeah Morgan especially playing against Pakistan's spinners should be a good contest. His method of playing spin is similar to how Andy Flower used to play spinners.

Anonymous said...

Gale's FC record aint great either...

greyblazer said...

Yeah Gale's FC average is just 32.5. For me he looked like a stand and deliver player.