greyblazeragainblogging

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Benn gets a five wicket haul!

Since the time Benn got a chance to play for Westindies, I have seen many questioning his place in the side, but yesterday,  he showed that he has a great attitude as he kept coming hard at the batsmen and deservedly got a five wicket haul. He would have better career figures, but the Westindian fielders haven't helped him or  other bowlers in the side, as they can't catch a cold.

Anyway, coming back to our man, Benn, it is crystal clear to anyone that he isn't the next Bedi or Underwood, but his ability to bowl long spells and not give away too many runs makes him a vital cog in their side. More importantly, he doesn't get flustered by batsmen going after him and doesn't lose heart when he sees fielders drop even simple catches. For instance, last year KP was smashing him all over the park at Kingston and at Chester le Street, Benn though, didn't lose his patience and finally got him out. Yesterday too, from whatever little cricket I could watch, I could see that he didn't lose his patience and rarely ever bowled a bad delivery and even when De Villiers or Boucher attacked him,  he didn't lose confidence in his ability.

Last year, Benn showed that he has a great temperament on a flat pitch like Adelaide  in Australia as   even though their fielders dropped easy catches, he just continued to do what he does best and that is, to bowl decent line and length and deservedly got a five wicket haul in that match.

Among other bowlers, Shillingford looks like a decent prospect, but would be tested on pitches that aren't helping the spinners and I liked the look of Pascal, as he can bowl decent line and length and hurries the batsmen for a bit a of pace.

For the umpteenth time though, I didn't like Gayle's captaincy as he was too passive. For instance, Benn was getting bounce and Saffer batsmen were going hard at the ball yet, he didn't had a gully for  him. Shillingford kept bowling over the wicket though, it can be said that Prince is vulnerable against off spinners who, can go  around the wicket and finally, Gayle himself got Prince out by coming around the wicket.


For South Africa, Boucher, Prince and De Villiers all played useful knocks as they showed the advantage of using their feet against the spinners to smother the spin. Boucher was under a bit of pressure as he was dropped from the one-day team, but just like the test series against England, he showed that he is a gutsy player and his partnership with Steyn perhaps would turn out to be the turning point of the match. He may get beaten about thousand times, but that won't worry him as he would be up and ready to face the next delivery. Prince too was in bad form before this series, but  scored a timely half century in the first innings. As Prince tends to push hard at the ball and plays from the crease, he still looks vulnerable against quicker bowlers who, can consistently make it to leave the lefthander and against off spinners who, can bowl around the wicket.

As far as the match situation is concerned, South Africa are on top as I  expect most of the Westindian batsmen would try to hit through the line and gift their wickets away! Of course, if their batsmen can show a bit of patience, they can get a decent score on the board as at least on the second day, the pitch did turn, but it was slow turn and batsmen can get runs in the first innings.

Finally, I would like to congratulate Benn for getting his second five wicket haul. He won't bring spectators to the ground   and neither would  too many articles  be written  about him, but has a great temperament and  would likely continue to succeed.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gayle sending him off the other day was one of the best things that I have heard from a captain for ages. It showed Gayle up in a really committed light and might have made Benn pull his head in.

Gangly spin bowlers are fun to watch and you can never doubt his competitive spirit. I like him.

OR

greyblazer said...

OR,

Lol I didn't follow the onedayers but Gayle continues to say Benn is his friend!

Actually I don't think Gayle knows anything about tactics or field placements and he should be sent off and they may do better.

Shridhar Jaju said...

During the toss, Gayle said that he was happy that the Tests are beginning after a couple of dreadful Limited Over Cricket tournaments.

From a man who once said that Test cricket is dying, this was a big statement!

Anonymous said...

GB, nor does Punter. When does that stop someone captaining?

OR

greyblazer said...

SJ,

I don't know whether he hates test cricket or not but at present they need a captain who can take the team out of this mess and he can't.

greyblazer said...

OR,

Lol he inherited a great side as Border and co. did the hardwork but the Caribbean side is in a mess.

Wes ~ PFCNFS ~ said...

Hey GB everything alright? You haven't posted for about two weeks now... also, any reason why you have removed me from your blog roll? Would be nice to get a life sign from you, hope you're alright, write me an email if you feel like, you can find the address in my profile,

Cheers,
Wes

greyblazer said...

Lol I can be hotheaded and seeing that you didn't respond on twitter I took off your blog but don't worry as I would add it. I'm also sorry for bringing the name of KP all the time lol.

I have been a bit busy recently and I don't know when I would again write a blog.

Wes ~ PFCNFS ~ said...

Hello GB, so this is where the wind is blowing from ;) Unfortunately I didn't see your tweets, they must have got lost in the hundreds of tweets that arrive at my end of things everyday :( I can't read all of them, could you tell me your username please, I will follow you then and add you my bloggers list, or just follow me and I will follow you back. KP doesn't bother me, chances are high he will sign for Middlesex so I'll have to get used to Armpitface anyway :P

Cheers and thank you for the reply.
Wes

greyblazer said...

Strauss opening the batting and KP coming in at three lol.

My username is greyblazerr though I rarely use it nowadays.

Wes ~ PFCNFS ~ said...

Won't see a lot of him before he retires from international cricket *hopes*

I am following you now and have listed you in my cricket writers/media list. Looking forward to tweeting with you.

Cheers,
Wes

greyblazer said...

Thanks!

Purna said...

Hello, why have you disappeared?

greyblazer said...

Hi,

I have been a bit busy but would hopefully write a blog in the near future.